Thursday, January 1, 2009

DIY Concrete Vanity Top - Part IV

The Big Reveal!



Ok, so clearly it cured pretty frackin' far from black. In order to get it closer to the intended color, I went in search of stain (small bottle on top). Then it was time to remove the mold...


Ooooohh....pitty pitty!



The sink knockouts came out pretty easily, but the PVC faucet holes are still in there. I think they're wide enough for the faucet bits, so I'll probably just leave them in.


I think I worked the surface with the trowel too much. I wanted a pretty glassy and uniform top, and had not intended to grind or sand much, which makes the aggregate portion of the concrete (in this case, sand) more visible. I can tell the sand is going to make the surface somewhat speckled and sparkley, even with the black stain. The stain won't take to those tiny quartz and glass grains.

Hey, at least it's flat!


And here I am applying the stain. Depending on how it looks tomorrow, I may do one more coat, but no more. Then it will be buffed and beeswaxed...and installed!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I prefer the four letter spelling of frak.