Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Kitchen is done ...ish

All the contractor work, that is. Today we had the subway tile backsplash finished, so, not counting them hauling up the stove from the garage and plugging it in, all their work is done in this room.


Reilly and I still have a lot of cabinet work to do. We have to finish the doors and drawer fronts, paint (they're only primed white at the moment), and re-mount. We need to do the same for the pantry, although that's a lower priority.

I have started on the drawers and doors. The tricky bit is that we're making them inset door faces where they had been overlay. So they all have to be cut 1/16" smaller than the door opening, and as true/plumb as possible. So far I've got just one simple drawer done, and I think it came out well:

The overlay drawer faces were easily reused, since it only required the removal of material on all 4 sides. The old door faces have more complex joinery, so we need to make the new, shaker style doors from scratch. We'll accomplish that the same way we did the bathroom wainscoting -- simple strips of trim.

I'm especially stoked about the whiz-bang drawer slides I bought (am I a yuppie douchebag or what?!). Check it out: